Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Thing #20

One of the staff development sessions that my school had this past year was about Google Docs.  We were separated into groups and asked to explore a certain tool (document, spreadsheet, presentation) and then present to the rest of the class.  My group got the spreadsheet and although we weren't extremely creative, we got the concept. It just amazes me that you can create something and others can work on it at the same time.  What will they think of next?

Idea #1:  I wish I had thought of this tool when my class studied families and traits at the end of the year!  I asked everyone to bring their pictures to me so I could scan them and make a PowerPoint presentation.  We all enjoyed looking at each others' families and resemblances.  It would have been so much better if I had had them collaborate on the project during class!

Idea #2:  We have, in the past, made projects in our classroom that we took orders for and sold to the faculty and staff (non-profit, of course).  I set up one of those Google Spreadsheets and sent it out via e-mail.  It was really cool because my students (with help) could see when new orders were added, what had to be made, and where to deliver the item.

Idea #3:  With help, I think my students would enjoy creating a MadLib or Rebus-type story.  Perhaps they could create portions separately and then combine the story to see how it ends.

1 comment: