Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Thing #14

After looking at each of the tools from the list, I chose to work with MixBook.  The students in my classroom are delayed in their ability to write words, sentences, and even letters.  To encourage them to read or write we sometimes make books about them.  Usually this is done by gluing pictures of the student onto construction paper and letting them copy words.  I see MixBook as a technological tool that would peak their interest even further. This program encourages collaboration.  We could start a book at school and then "invite" the student's parents to include their own photos and work with their child from home.  I always ask for pictures of their families and summer activities at the beginning of the year and often times never receive them.  This would be a "safe" way for the parents to share their photos without being afraid they might get lost or ruined.

I'm embedding a book that I made about my grandson. This is a quick example and I look forward to spending more time on it (because I'm pretty sure I'm already addicted).  
The complete book doesn't show here, but you get the idea.

| View Sample Photo Books | Create your own Photo Book

2 comments:

  1. Mixbook would be perfect for your students. Do you have a iPad in your classroom? They would love that! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put in a proposal last year for two iPads and I'm still hopeful that I will receive them.

    ReplyDelete