Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thing #7b

One of the blogs that I follow in my Google Reader is My Life as an Ungraceful, Unhinged, and Unwilling Draftee into the Autism Army.  The particular post that I've linked here is about this mom's dealings with her young autistic daughter on a trip to Target when she doesn't get her way.  Autistic children have difficulty expressing themselves verbally.  In this case Audrey, the daughter who is trying to express her emotions, comes out with some typical blurtations (a new word I just invented) that can just crack you up...much later when you're retelling a story.  I can't do this woman's post justice by trying to retell it so please do read her version if you have time.  (I'll apologize in advance for some of her language.  This post is pretty calm but some of them are not.)  As a teacher of moderate to severely disabled students, I find it comforting to read her posts as well as the comments she elicits from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment